6/27/15

Why Work Abroad?

Did you ever wonder why some Filipinos chose to work abroad? I asked my colleagues about this over coffee, some of the below comments are just my observation. These colleagues are the yuppies from Ages 23-28. 
1. There's no use putting all your efforts in the Philippines -                                              " I was working in an Engineering firm, my pay was PHP15000, I worked hard and only got a raise after 2 years."

"Walang increase!" 

"I did not feel the increase in my salary at all and there was no health insurance as well. Also the deductions from SSS, Pag ibig, Income tax is taking almost half of my salary - plus deduct the petrol expenses, parking fees in makati is so high, food, I can't even buy the things I want. "    

"Nobody wants to hire me, I feel incompetent in my own country" 

2. I am single parent 
"I disappointed my parents for being a mom at an early age, I need to earn more for my daughter's future and at least send money to my parents to take care of her"

3. I left my heart in Manila (Plus number 2) - WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO
"Iniwan ako ng bf ko of 5 years, pucha parang wala na kong maisip kung hindi umalis and start a new sa ibang bansa, malay mo foreigner pala ang para saakin" 

4. Wanna earn 4x my current MBS (Monthly Basic Salary) - FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE

"If you were born poor, you want to be rich, I wanna buy what I want but yun nga, hindi naman ako makakabili ng iphone kung server ako sa pinas, diba?" 

"I wanna buy a house, I am sick of renting and moving from one place to another, so I went here to save and earn so I can invest on a condo" 

"Gusto ko mag travel kun saan saan" 

"Mainet jan, mahirap mag commute, ayoko na mag jeep mausok." 

5. I don't want to be in a LDR(Long Distance Relationship)
"Ayoko malayo sa gf ko, hindi ko na kaya ang isa pang taon na wala siya"

"I suspect that my husband will have an affair, he's not bad looking, so I followed him here"

----

Some of the yuppies started a plan to stop being an ofw for 5-10 years, some are still working, still searching and wouldn't want to go back in the Philippines. Well at least we have plans. I believe number 4, is the best answer for yuppies like me. We want to be able to reach financial independence. 

We are already considered as modern day heroes, our remittances generates revenues which and should make the Philippines better. I guess somehow, I hope sooner or later the Philippines will turn out to be one of the best cities in Asia again, maybe 2nd to Japan like we used to or maybe better than Japan. We do not expect a salute when we return to the Philippines. We just want to see our families, have a chance to live and grow a better life. And we hope by that time, we can look back and say, we helped our country by our remittances.

Sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment