9/17/14

DEAR BOSS. I QUIT.



"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be.” Robert Fulghum


I remember talking with Boss about my resignation way back 2012. He said so many things to at least make me stay but I was eager to start on my own and try pursuing business. That was true, but I honestly failed big time.

Now that I am here in UAE and finally back in the corporate jungle. I have been thinking about - Why some bosses cannot retain their employees? Is it really their fault? I have been contemplating about this cause I want to save up and put up a business again soon after being a corporate slave for approximately 3 years. And I have heard that my favorite boss quits his job in my favorite company. (Toink)

WHY!? WHERE YOU GO? LOL

1. Lack of motivation
Many employers are too much on money making and forgets to build employee dedication and appreciation. Appreciation, be it monetary or verbal. But as a Marketing person who makes the life and blood of the company, incentives from quotas is indeed a motivation. Oh yeah! But really I think some employees feel unappreciated. A pat on the back would do or congratulate that person.

2. TOXIC environment
I think anyone will not settle for any high paying job if the environment is toxic. When I say toxic, there's no system at all! No procedures, No org structure, No protocols = Just do it. Whuut.

3. Communication
Provide constructive feedback to your employees. Talk talk, but do not talk about your personal lives. Feed back isn't about surprising someone with negative comments. Talk and settle one problem to another. Be positive.

4. Bad Managers
Ok the word BAD is too much. But one of my colleagues once said that "You are not leaving because of the job, you're leaving because of your manager". I couldn't get along my first job manager, I didn't like her at all cause I didn't learn anything from her. Everything I know about the job was self taught. She was just sitting in her room and keeps bringing down the morale of the team. Most managers, I think to me are promoted into their role without getting the support they need to develop their leadership skills. BAM! :))

5. No Training Programs
Many organizations hold back on training and development programmes maybe as they fear that their people might leave after they're heavily invested in them. Truth. This might happen. But I guess, one of the main reason that people quit is that they no longer learn anything new.

So, there are so many obvious benefits of retaining employees. But sometimes we have to just "Let it Go" and build a snowman. Jeez. Haha! I hope I made sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment